Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Subway

I have been nervous to post this amazing experience that I was able to have with my family over the July 24-25th holiday because I just don't think I can do it justice in words of just how incredible it was! But none-the-less I have to try and just hope I can convey even the smallest part of how much I enjoyed it. So my dad, all my brothers, Ryan, me, and two of my sister-in-laws Lisa and Elizabeth hiked The Subway in Zions. By far tHe mOsT crazy, adventurous, fun, hard, challenging, bonding, beautiful, and amazing thing I have ever done. Now mind you, I am in terrible shape and really should've prepared myself physically better for this... it probably would've meant a faster hike for everyone and a lot less soreness afterwards for me but at the same time... I did it!! and am really proud of myself for being able to say that... it may have taken ALL day, but i did it. So I copied a little expert from a description on the Internet that I thought began to do it justice...
" The mystical journey through the Left Fork of North Creek involves route finding, plunging cautiously into chilly pools then sloshing, sometimes frantically, through frigid water over and through difficult obstacles. The narrow Subway section of this hike forces hikers through a unique tunnel sculpted by the Left Fork of North Creek. Churning water chisels the rock floor, forming shallow potholes that fill to the brim with frosty water. Silhouettes dance freely on multi-colored walls where only a trickle of sun light penetrates into the curved chamber of the Subway. Falling water echoes in the nature carved tunnel where dragonflies dart, frogs laze about and shimmering emerald pools tempt cold hikers to dawdle. Before long, the promise of daylight urges an exit to the warmth of the sun waiting outside the Subway. The canyon widens as hikers cross back and forth across the creek, making their way to the grueling uphill exit."
The hike it self is well over 10 miles of climbing, bouldering, swimming, wading through water in river beds, repelling 4 times, climbing up and down steep mountains, walking through wooded areas and across the hot red rocks, and seeing some of the most amazing scenery. It starts at about 7000 feet and you hike down to about 4500 in some of the most exciting and challenging climbs I have done.
I had the best time with my family... usually all the boys go golfing or to movies together and I am not usually there... Ryan is. But this time it was so fun to do this as a family... we helped each other, encouraged each other, laughed at each other, chatted together and just had the best bonding time that we have had in a while. It was one of those times that just changes you as a family. Also being able to do that with Ryan was amazing. We haven't ever done anything like that together and it was so fun to have him there to play with, to help me, to walk with, to just completely enjoy each other and push ourselves. Dallas and Lisa were our tour guides, since they have done it once before, and were so great. Dallas was so patient with all of us during the repels and guiding us through the trails. In fact at one point on the hike on the way out he had to run ahead to catch a ride from somebody up to the cars because he forgot his keys(long story) and when he left us it was a bit scary. The hike on the way out isn't marked well... it basically bouldering for 3-4 miles and trying to cross riverbeds to find the trails followed up at the end with an eXtRemE climb up a cliff, of which I was ready to hurl, and when he was gone we all felt lost and worried if we were headed the right way... thank goodness we were and we found our way... Overall the experience was awesome and I am so happy my dad encouraged all of us to go and climb together... What a memory.
Some of my favorite parts... loved the descent down in to the canyon, it was the first obstacle and a fun one to climb down, watching Ryan be a mountain goat and explore every turn and hill to climb, loved watching Ryan try the water slides...or should I say the non-eater slides, at least up until the point where he hurt his leg going down a water fall not meant for a slide but he thought it should be. the first time he did it great the second time he jumped a ledge and landed on his leg. Lets just say it made the climb out of the mountain painful...poor guy! , watching my dads face as he repelled down the first rock, he was so happy and excited, this was a trip he has been dying to do with his kids and was in heaven, loved having something new to look at around every corner!, just playing with my brothers! I never get to do that! sososososo fun, even the smashed PB&J's for lunch tasted great...awESomE!
So between all of us we took over 400 pictures, don't worry I won't post all of them, but I will try to tell the story of this amazing hike through them.!!! Here goes! Hopefully I can trim it to 50???!!!























































No comments:

Post a Comment